Sunday 24 February 2019
10.30am to 4.30pm
King Edward’s School, North Road, Bath, BA2 6HU
From Pachelbel to Pop
with David Combes
As well as a full schedule of performing with artists such as Elton John, Michael Bublé and Beyoncé, David teaches at the London College of Music (Pop B Mus course) and at the Institute of Contemporary Music. He has worked with Jono McNeil on TV’s The Voice and been a presenter for the British Voice Association as part of their Interactive Rock and Pop.
At this area day, he will be talking about the areas common to all genres of singing and the stylistic and technical ideas necessary for authentic performances in jazz, rock and pop.
The morning session will be a mixture of presentation and workshop; in the afternoon David will work with some students in a masterclass.
10.30am: Registration – tea and coffee available
As well as students of AOTOS members participating in the masterclasses, we are thrilled to have a member of the National Youth Choirs Great Britain Fellowship Octet for the afternoon masterclass on pop techniques for classical singers: Jack Harberd.
Tea, coffee and water provided at registration and lunch. Sorry, no lunches available – please bring your own packed lunch.
- Members: £50
- Non-members: £55
- Students: £25
- Members bringing a non-member guest or guests: £40 each
BA (Hons), MMus (Dist), PGCert, FHEA
David is a singer and vocal coach based in London. Alongside an extremely busy performing schedule, he teaches at London College of Music and the Institute of Contemporary Music Performance. Over his diverse career David has built a strong reputation on the London session circuit performing with, among others, Beyoncé, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Lionel Richie, and Kylie. As a backing vocalist he can also be heard on numerous prime-time television shows including several series of The X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent. In recent years he has recorded backing vocals for Robbie Williams, Bradley Walsh and Alfie Boe together with Michael Ball and has appeared as a soloist with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Halle Orchestra, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and BBC Concert Orchestra. Find out more about David at the ICMP website.
By train from Bath Spa, a ten-minute taxi ride (01225 444444). Why not arrange to travel and share a taxi with other members of your pod?
- From the North (M4), leave the M4 by exit 18, signed Bath (A46).
- At the bottom of the hill, take the slip road to the roundabout, and join the A4 (London Road) towards Bath city centre.
- Continue on the A4 into Bath, pass Morrisons supermarket, keep in the left-hand lane and take the left turn signed Warminster (A36) at the main traffic lights.
- Cross the river on the Cleveland ridge, pass the Fire and Ambulance Station on the left.
- Keep in the left-hand lane, continue to follow Warminster (A36) signs, and turn left into Beckford Road.
- As the road bends to the right, move into the right-hand lane ready to turn right into North Road (signed Claverton Down and Bath Golf Club) after the traffic lights at the top of rise.
- The school is on your left; there are three entrances. Take the top entrance marked Reception.