Central Area 2018 Professional Development Day
The new Trinity syllabus inside out
– a guide through the new syllabus, some ‘mock’ exams, and a closer look at the marking system
with Peter Buckby (Trinity Regional Consultant, North of England)
and guest examiner Bonnie Bradley Bailey
Sunday 15 April 2018
Peter Buckby is the regional consultant for Trinity College London in the Midlands and North of England. This work takes him across the area delivering training sessions, presentations and demonstrations assisting teachers and other music professionals to get the most from the Trinity College London’s syllabuses and supporting materials. He has worked in a variety of education settings, from music centre based individual and group teaching to wider opportunities programmes in schools through to lectures to university students. He heads an annual project that takes an interactive music roadshow into primary schools, inspiring students to discover how great being a musician can be; he also works with adult music projects to encourage students to return to instruments they played as children. An advocate for composition and improvisation within the learning environment, he is particularly interested in how these skills can assist students in technique and confidence development. He is the director of Innovation Music, a music school network providing vocal, instrumental and theory lessons on the Yorkshire Coast, teaching piano, keyboard, singing and music theory to students with a diverse range of ages and abilities.
- 11am to 11:45am Get to know Trinity College London: An introduction to Trinity College London’s syllabuses and exam structure including a look at the supporting tests. There will be time to ask questions and find out more about how the different parts of a Trinity exam work.
- 11:45am to 12 noon Break
- noon to 12:45pm: Singing Syllabus 2018 to 2021 (Part 1) . With guest examiner Bonnie Bradley Bailey, this session will feature guidance on the new singing syllabus including pieces, exercises and technical work. In this session the main focus will be the materials relating to the Initial to Grade 5 examinations.
- 12:45pm to 1:15pm: Rock and Pop Vocals from 2018 (Part 1). A look at the newly released Trinity Rock and Pop Vocals syllabus featuring performances from Yazzy Chamberlain signing songs from the Initial to Grade 5 course books.
- 1:15pm to 2:15pm: Lunch
- 2:15pm to 2:45pm: Rock and Pop Vocals from 2018 (Part 2). Looking at Grades 6 to 8 with performances from Yazzy.
- 2:45 – 3:15pm Singing Syllabus 2018 to 2021 (Part 2). Bonnie will continue to look at the Singing Syllabus focusing on Grades 6 to 8
- 3:15pm to 3:30pm: Break
- 3:30pm to 4:15pm Understanding the marking scheme. This session looks at Trinity’s marking scheme in detail and will include live performances from exam material.
- 4:15pm to 4:30pm: Question and answer session.
- Tea, coffee and water provided at registration and lunchtime.
- Sorry, no lunches available – please bring your own packed lunch
- Members: £50
- Non-members: £55
- Students: £25
- Members bringing a non-member guest or guests: £40 each
Contact Central Representative Zoe Turner with any queries.