South East Area
The South East Area is the largest area AOTOS covers, with over 200 members in Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Sussex, Surrey, Kent, Hampshire and London. Events organized by Nicola-Jane Kemp have included master classes with Michael Chance OBE, Anne Murray DBE and Roderick Williams in Cambridge, and a Music Theatre workshop day at St. Paul’s Girls’ School. Last autumn we had a very successful day entitled ‘Auditioning for Higher Education’ at Pimlico School with Head of Vocal Studies at The Royal College of Music Nick Sears and Wendy Gadian – Head of the Musical Theatre Course at Royal Central School of Speech and Drama. Our Spring Development Day this year with Mary King was very well attended at Winchester University. She talked enthusiastically and eloquently about what young singers need these days whether hoping for a classical or more popular singing career. She also gave an extended master class to ten young performers.
South East Area Development Day
Saturday 3 May 2014, Peter Symonds College, Winchester, 11am-5pm
A Day with Anne–Marie Speed
I am delighted to announce that Anne-Marie Speed will devote the day to talking about the different vocal qualities/ techniques needed in Classical, Musical Theatre and Pop singing , with reference to the Estill Model, and how the model can help to clarify vocal differences and similarities. There will be a masterclass in the afternoon with pupils of AOTOS members.
Anne-Marie really impressed us all with her talk at the Summer Conference and I feel she has an enormous amount of knowledge, not least about safe voice production in many genres, to share with us.
To download and application form click here
Go to www.psc.ac.uk for more details of directions and how to get there.
Do contact me if you have any ideas for future development days. As our group covers such a large area, members are welcome to arrange small informal local events, and again do contact me about this. Sarah Leonard My details are: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07889 732303
Extra Event – Clare College Cambridge
Saturday 1 March 10-5pm
Masterclass with Joan Rodgers CBE
With a particular focus on English, Russian and French Song, the international soprano – Joan Rodgers CBE -will give a day of masterclasses to nominated choral scholars from Clare, Kings, St Johns, Gonville & Caius and Jesus Colleges in Cambridge.
Click here for poster and more information.
To reserve places in advance at the masterclass please click here to download the Application Form and send off with your cheque.
For further enquiries, please contact Nicola-Jane Kemp
Some Recent South East Area events
- April 2013 – Mary King – Classical/Music Theatre styles and workshop – Winchester
- February 2013 – Roderick Williams – Masterclass on German and English Song – Clare College, Cambrige
- September 2012 – Nick Sears (RCM) and Wendy Gadian (Central) Auditioning for HE (London)
- February 2012 – Ann Murray DBE – Masterclass on German and English Song – Clare College, Cambridge
- May 2011 – Informal Tea and Repertoire share – Clapham (London)
- February 2011 – Michael Chance OBE – “The Art of the Countertenor” – Clare College, Cambridge
- January 2011 – Jane Rebecca Marshall – “From Bach to Belt” – St Paul’s Girls’ School, Hammersmith (London)
- May 2010 – Karen Brunssen (USA) – Masterclass – Clare College, Cambridge
- January 2010 – Eileen Field – ABRSM Exam Workshop – Blackheath (London)
- February 2009 – Ann Murray DBE – Masterclass – Opera Studio (London)